Sunday, July 3, 2011

5 Geocaches and a Mountain Top

Today Chelsey and I got a baby sitter for the twins so we could go for a hike up Elk Mountain. I have wanted to do more hiking and get into the back country more but have been too cheap to pay for a baby sitter. Realizing everything can not wait until the kids are old enough to do it with me I figured we should just suck it up and it was well worth it; a few more years and the kids will be able to do most things with me anyways. 

The hike was 8km return with an elevation gain of 674 meters and the peak was at 1304 meters. I took the GPS with me to track our trek but I still need to figure out how to upload it to Google Earth. Lucky for us there were Geocaches the whole way up and we were able to pick up 5 on the way, including one right by the summit - our total is now 45 found!

One of the things on our 50 Things to do in BC Before You Die list is summit a mountain. While technically this hike would qualify I want to do something more challenging before I cross that one off our list. Chelsey on the other hand, would probably be happy to cross it off now. Lots of pictures below for you to all enjoy; they do not do the view justice...



A Trail

Chelsey pondering my death



A sneak peak of the views ahead

Further ponderings

The Chilliwack River Valley with Cultus Lake in the back ground


Chilliwack below

More of Chilliwack with the Fraser River in the distance

Farms, farms and more farms

Farmville

Almost to the top



Mountain flowers

One of the 5


I think the snow in July is more a result of the lousy spring then the elevation we were at 


Chelsey enjoying a scenic sandwich

Chilliwack River below



Self portait

1 comment:

  1. Awesome trek Michael. Great photo's (especially the one of Farmville - is my son being sarcastic).

    ReplyDelete