Monday, August 8, 2011

Mount Cheam Hike

Sorry for the lack of blog posts since the return from our Tuc-El-Nuit Lake trip but we have been busy and quite frankly I can only post so many videos of the kids playing on the slip n' slide!

But this post will wow you with some cool pictures. Since moving to Chilliwack I have always wanted to hike up Mount Cheam as I have seen pictures of the views. With the kids spending this week in Campbell River Chelsey and I took the opportunity yesterday to hit up Mount Cheam. I will let the pictures do most of the talking but two things suprised me about this hike: the assloads of snow that was still around and the length of the drive up the logging road to get to the trail head. We actually picked up a group of 3 hikers head up the fire road trying to make it to the trail head; they stopped 8km short as they did not think their Hyundai Tuscon would make it the whole way.

So while we have made it to the top of another mountain I still do not want to cross #20 off our 50 Things to do in BC Before You Die list. In the spirit of good competition, even though this is not a competition, I think that in order to scratch number 20 off our list it should include at least one night spent in the back country; Chelsey and I differ on that opinion. Anyways, here are the pictures and commentary; enjoy!




The goal partly covered in clouds as seen from the Rosedale-Aggasiz bridge on our way back from Chelsey's dragon boat practice

The scenery was unreal and obviously the pictures do not do it justice


I think this is heading into the area known as Spoon Lake; I would say greater then 50% of the trail was covered in snow.

Chelsey slogging up. As so much of the trail was covered in snow it seems most people were following the steps left by the prior hikers so lots of travel was done off the trail...Sorry flowers

Chelsey again following in someones footsteps



Jones Lake below; many of you will recognize Jones Lake from our winter campfire trip and last years camping trips with the kids.

Lots of peaks to look at but I know the name of none of them



The clouds were still up top as we neared the summit

The abyss below; as someone afraid of heights it felt like my balls were in my stomach.

Even though we got screwed on the views up top it still looked cool

Yay me!



Yay us! I would have been closer to Chelsey but I did not want to go over the edge.


Chelsey heading back down into the abyss

If you look close you can see my ass mark from sliding down this snow patch; the dot is another hiker who liked my line.

It was kind of cool how the streams snake through this valley

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics Michael - a good ad for "Beautiful British Columbia".

    ReplyDelete