Saturday, September 17, 2011

Camp Kindawoods

Before I dive into our "camping" adventure I need to explain that I am very superstitious. I will never walk under a ladder, avoid the number 13, etc and I am a big believer that everything happens for a reason and that you should follow your gut. The other day when I was walking into the office I saw a crap load of crows flying around, I have never seen crows flocking like that so I was kind of creeped out. The first thing that I thought was something was going to happen, like "The Big One" or something. I have heard people say animals know when something is going to happen so I assume that is why I thought of that. Anyways, a few hours later that big earth quake hit off of Vancouver Island; weird eh.

So...The kids have been bugging me for weeks to take them camping. I kept promising I would but either the weather sucked or something else came up. Not wanting to be the Dad that promises but never delivers I figured we should head up this weekend. Last night the weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow was rain so I figured if we could get the tent set-up when it was not raining we would be safe. So I loaded all the camping gear up last night with the intent to scoot off after Cohen's skating lesson if the weather was ok; as a side note, Cohen rocked at his skating lessons today!

So last night while I was sound asleep fighting my sleep apnea I had a dream that we were out camping. In this dream we went for a walk and Cohen got attacked by a bear. It was a pretty vivid dream as I remember crying in the hospital hoping he was ok; so with my superstitious attitude and the experience with the crows the other day I was a little freaked to go camping when I woke up. When I was making the kids breakfast I told them that if it was raining we couldn't go camping and it was raining pretty good this morning. Trying to be the trooper I packed up all the food, pillows, etc before we left for skating with the intent of still going camping but secretly wishing it would snow or something...



When we got out of the rink the sun was shining so there was no getting out of it. Usually when we camp at Jones Lake we go to the unofficial campsites so that we can have a site right on the water but not wanting to deal with all the garbage people leave behind and having to shit in the woods I decided we would hit up the official sites today. When we rolled up the place was deserted but I was surprised how clean the official sites were. We picked a spot close to the crapper and the lake and proceeded to pitch our tent. I was able to get everything up just before the first rain shower hit so we were able to keep dry. Kyah needed to take a dump so I took her to the washroom and on the door there was a sign warning about a bear in the area and to take precautions; while I did have bear spray and a knife that damn dream popped up in my head again.

After getting settled down we walked down to the lake for some fishing and saw a ass load of little baby frogs jumping around; Cohen said his favorite part of the day was flicking the frogs with a stick! We got about 3 casts in with the rod before the rain started up again. We got back to our camp site and I secretly wished that our tent would be leaking so we could go home; I just had a weird feeling about it all and did not feel super safe for some reason. With the tent not leaking we piddled around until the rain stopped and then went for a walk to find a geocache in the area; I kept the kids real close.

We came back, had some dinner and washed up and then got ready for bed. It was pretty cold in the tent and we were able to see our own breath. The kids had a lot of fun blowing "smoke" at each other and I went outside to get our light to read them a story; I was somewhat looking forward to lying in my sleeping bag reading my book as that is often my favorite part about camping. I do like the peacefulness of night time and just hanging out after the kids hit the sack. So I grabbed out light and the damn thing did not work! That weird feeling came back, I thought of the dream and told the kids the light did not work. I asked them if they would be mad if we went home and slept in our own beds and they said no. They then helped me pack some stuff up in their jammies, I threw a whole lot of very wet tarps and tents into the back of the jeep by the glow of our campfire, packed up the kids and drove the 8km down the forest service road on the way home.

I don't know if I am a wimp for not sleeping in the tent tonight but it just did not feel right and the kids said they still had fun anyways. Enjoy our pictures...There are quite a few as we were playing with the camera when it was raining and the kids will be excited to see them on here

Camp Kindawoods


The smoke from the campfire was going inside the truck and when I opened the door  it all came out like someone hot boxed it. I opened the sun roof and the smoke was going in the back and out the sunroof, it looked pretty fun but our tarp city was keeping us dry. The problem is my truck smells even worse now; sorry Chels.

Kyah being Kyah and Cohen flicking frogs

A baby frog, there were hundreds of these dudes jumping around


The geocache we found


Have puddle will splash

And the playing with the camera starts. We would take a picture and  then the kids would want to see it right away. They would laugh their butts off at the picture so it was quite cute; these are just a few of them.
















2 comments:

  1. Glad you went home Mike. That gave me chills just reading about it. Love the pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you "followed your gut" Michael and the kids sure look like they enjoyed the time that you did spend outdoors. Better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete